Presentations by AgriFoRwArdS Students
|Farm robots, fruit-picking and human-robot interaction||UKRAS Robot Talk podcast session||30/09/2022||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Towards Autonomous Task Allocation Using Social Rob Team in a Food Factory||UKRAS2022 Conference: “Robotics for Unconstrained Environments”||07/09/2022 to 08/09/2022||Amie Owen|
|Sub-SPARC: Investigation of Imperfect Teachers||UKRAS2022 Conference: “Robotics for Unconstrained Environments”||07/09/2022 to 08/09/2022||Garry Clawson|
|Blockchain Crop Assurance and Localisation||UKRAS2022 Conference: “Robotics for Unconstrained Environments”||07/09/2022 to 08/09/2022||Garry Clawson|
|Towards the Application of Multi-Agent Task Allocation to Hygiene Tasks in the Food Production Industry||International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (PAAMS) 2022||13/07/2022 to 15/07/2022||Amie Owen|
|Towards open source hardware robotic woodwind: an internal duct flute player||International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) 2022||03/07/2022 to 09/07/2022||Garry Clawson, James Bennett and Kyle Fogarty|
|Action Conditioned Tactile Prediction: case study on slip prediction||Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS) 2022||27/06/2022 to 01/07/2022||Willow Mandil|
|Explainable Droplet Recognition System for Precision Sprayer Applications||Joint Robotics and Autonomous Systems CDT Conference 2022||13/06/2022||Harry Rogers|
|Uncertainty-Guided Collaboration for Multi-Agent Precision Agriculture||Dyson visit to Corpus Christi College||04/05/2022||Jack Foster|
|Optimising virtual reality training in industry using crowdsourcing||12TH Conference On Learning Factories (CLF) 2022||10/04/2022 to 14/04/2022||Paul David Zuercher|
|Monte Carlo methods for Uncertainty Quantification||EPSRC CDT in Modelling of Heterogeneous Systems – HetSys – Computational Toolkit Seminar Series||29/03/2022||Kyle Fogarty|
|Intelligent automation for hygiene maintenance in food production settings||Society of Food Hygiene & Technology (SOFHT) Innovation Day||24/03/2022||Amie Owen|
|An Introduction to Uncertainty Quantification||EPSRC CDT in Modelling of Heterogeneous Systems – HetSys – Computational Toolkit Seminar Series||22/03/2022||Kyle Fogarty|
|Precision Agriculture for Iceberg Lettuce||University of Cambridge Division F Conference||March 2022||Will Rohde|
|Intelligent automation for hygiene maintenance in food production settings||Campden BRI Processing, Operations and Preservation Member Interest Group meeting||March 2022||Amie Owen|
|Geometric Algebra and its applications to robotics, and more specifically how it can be used for the reconstruction of a 3D scene structure from images; an active research topic in computer vision.||University of Cambridge Course Open Day||23/11/2021||Haris Matsantonis|
|Maximising availability of transportation robots through intelligent allocation of parking spaces||Joint Robotics and Autonomous Systems CDT Conference 2021||01/10/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Extending an Open Source Hardware agri-robot with simulation and plant re-identification||Joint Robotics and Autonomous Systems CDT Conference 2021||01/10/2021||Harry Rogers|
|Deep Semantic Segmentation of 3D plant point clouds||Joint Robotics and Autonomous Systems CDT Conference 2021||01/10/2021||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Closed-Loop Robotic Cooking of Scrambled Eggs with a Salinity-based ‘Taste’ Sensor||International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems 2021||27/09/2021 to 01/10/2021||Grzegorz Sochacki|
|Deep Semantic Segmentation of 3D plant point clouds||Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Annual Conference (TAROS) 2021||08/09/2021 to 10/09/2021||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Maximising availability of transportation robots through intelligent allocation of parking spaces||Towards Autonomous Robotic Systems Annual Conference (TAROS) 2021||08/09/2021 to 10/09/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Maximising availability of fruit transportation robots through intelligent allocation of parking spaces||Festival of Fresh 2021||13/07/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Allocation of Parking Spaces for Autonomous Agricultural Robots||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Automated Counting of Grapes||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Bradley Hurst|
|Automatic Detection of Black Rot in Images of Grapes||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Callum Lennox and Haihui Yan|
|Closed Loop Action for Robotic Chef Implementation||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Grzegorz Sochacki|
|Tactile prediction for controlled manipulation||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Willow Mandil|
|Using deep learning for semantic segmentation of 3D plant point clouds||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Visual perception for harvesting grapes||AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021||01/07/2021 to 02/07/2021||Elijah Almanzor|
|Compliant Sensorized Testing Device to Provide a Model Based Estimation of the Cooking Time of Vegetables||16th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS-16)||22/06/2021 to 25/06/2021||Grzegorz Sochacki|
|The perks in studying robotics||International Women in Engineering Day 2021||23/06/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Task Allocation with Manipulative Dynamic Auctioneering for Multi Robot Systems||UKRAS2021 Conference: “Robotics at home”||02/06/2021||Roopika Ravikanna|
|Robotics Manipulators in Agriculture: A Brief Review||ICRA Task-Informed Grasping Workshop – III||31/05/2021||Harry Rogers|
|Perception in Agri-food Manipulation: A Review||ICRA Task-Informed Grasping Workshop – III||31/05/2021||Jack Foster and Mazvydas Gudelis|
|Modelling Soft Fruit Clusters for Controlled Harvesting||ICRA Task-Informed Grasping Workshop – III||31/05/2021||Willow Mandil|
|Current Advances in Hardware for Agri-Food Manipulation – A Review||ICRA Task-Informed Grasping Workshop – III||31/05/2021||Joshua Davy|
|Touch, smell, taste and sound sensing in robotic kitchen||International Workshop on Embodied Intelligence 2021||24/03/2021 to 26/03/2021||Grzegorz Sochacki|
|4D Crop Modelling||University of Lincoln Postgraduate Research Showcase 2021||24/02/2021||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Semantic-assisted 4D crop mapping||Lincoln Agri-Robotics Mini Conference 2020||07/12/2020 to 11/12/2020||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Semantic Segmentation of Plant Leaves from 3D Point Clouds using Deep Learning||Lincoln Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems 2020||09/10/2020||Karoline Heiwolt|
|Residual Physics for Grasp Failure Prediction||Lincoln Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems 2020||09/10/2020||Grzegorz Sochacki|
|Automated Topological Mapping for Agricultural Robots||UKRAS2020 Conference: “Robots into the real world”||17/04/2020||Willow Mandil|
Presentations by AgriFoRwArdS Academics
|Learning-Based Methods for Cooperative Multi-Robot Systems||Perspectives in Hybrid Autonomous Systems Engineering (PHASE) 2022||29/06/2022||Amanda Prorok|
|Collaborative Robotic Systems for Sustainable Food Production||Perspectives in Hybrid Autonomous Systems Engineering (PHASE) 2022||29/06/2022||Elizabeth Sklar|
|Interdisciplinary research in the field of agri-technology||Festival of Fresh 2022||08/06/2022||Simon Pearson|
|Weeding and harvesting robots for sustainable and affordable horticulture||AI for Good Global Summit 2022||28/04/2022||Elizabeth Sklar|
|Opportunities and barriers to robotic field phenotyping||PhenomUK AGM 2022||30/03/2022||Simon Pearson|
|Nitrogen Efficiency in Farming||Lincoln Institute for Agri-Food Technology Beakfast Briefing||11/02/2022||Simon Pearson|
|Novel approaches to using robotics for research||Lincoln Institute for Agri-Food Technology Breakfast Briefing||08/02/2022||Oorbessy Gaju|
|Technical innovations addressing the labour and skills shortage||The 23rd Annual SACAPP Potato Growers Conference||26/01/2022||Simon Pearson|
|The Potentials of Robotics for Vegetable Production||Vegetable Consultants’ Association Conference 2021||09/12/2021||Grzegorz Cielniak|
|Agri-robotics and computer vision for plant phenotyping||3rd NordPlant annual meeting “Successful Plant Modelling and Phenotyping for the Nordic Countries – What is Needed?”||25/11/2021||Junfeng Gao|
|Recent advances in agri-robotics technology||Transforming Food Production Hub at CropTec 2021||24/11/2021||Grzegorz Cielniak|
|Autonomous weed detection & mapping||Transforming Food Production Hub at CropTec 2021||24/11/2021||Grzegorz Cielniak|
|Methods of integrated weed management for blackgrass||
REAP Conference 2021: Changing Time(s) For Agriculture
|Agricultural robots: opportunities and challenges in automating crop care||The British Crop Production Council (BCPC) Congress 2021||01/11/2021 to 02/11/2021||Marc Hanheide|
|Delivering net zero food||Countryside COP2021||11/10/2021 to 15/10/2021||Ravi Valluru, Grzegorz Cielniak, Marcello Calisti and Mini Rai|
|Sugar beet and carbon: what we need to know||Countryside COP2021||11/10/2021 to 15/10/2021||Iain Gould|
|Robotics in Crop Care||Nanjing Agricultural University||26/05/2021||Junfeng Gao|
|Soft Fruit Perception in the Wild||The International Conference on Digital Technologies for Sustainable Crop Production (DIGICROP) 2020||01/11/2020 to 10/11/2020||Grzegorz Cielniak|
Other Activities and Outputs
- September 2022 – Jack Foster attends the University of Cambridge High Performance Computing Autumn Academy (September 5-16th 2022).
- September 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson is invited to attend the Best of British Businesses Awards (focused on agri-food) due to Lincoln’s leading research in the area.
- August 2022 – Dr Oorbessy Gaju represents Lincoln robotics at the exhibition stand at Cereals in Cambridge.
- July 2022 – Dr Ravi Valluru is a member of the Future of Wheat in the UK discussion panel.
- July 2022 – Dr Carolina Camacho Villa discussing the future of wheat and the role robotic technologies will play in the future with the Lincolnshire Food Partnership.
- July 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson is involved in the Midlands Engine Agritech & Food Tech cluster research roundtable discussion led by CBI Economics.
- July 2022 – Jack Foster co-supervises 6 Mathematics PhD students across UK universities for a research project with the Heilbronn Institute for Mathematical Research in July and August 2022.
- June 2022 – Dr Grzegorz Cielniak runs a ‘Plant 3D Scanning Workshop’.
- June 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson represents the University of Lincoln at the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA) team away day.
- June 2022 – Roopika Ravikanna, Samuel Carter, Xumin Gao and Garry Clawson took part in robotics demonstrations as part of a visit from Boston College students to the University of Lincoln Riseholme Campus.
- June 2022 – Garry Clawson and Roopika Ravikanna run a live virtual demonstration of the robotics systems in the University of Lincoln strawberry tunnels for RoboLab Live as part of the UKRAS Festival of Robotics in June 2022.
- June 2022 – Simon Pearson co-chairs the DEFRA Automation Review published in June 2022.
- June 2022 – Roopika Ravikanna runs a workshop titled ‘The Way We Eat’ as part of the TedEx event at the University of Lincoln Riseholme Campus, aimed at bridging the educational gap about understanding where our food comes from.
- May 2022 – Grzegorz Sochacki is a guest on BBC Radio Berkshire, BBC Radio 4 and BBC Radio 5.
- April 2022 – Callum Lennox, Garry Clawson, Emlyn Williams, Xumin Gao attend the Douglas Bomford Trust Bi-Annual Meeting, Callum also presented his research at the meeting.
- April 2022 – Dr Marcello Calisti is a member of the Future of Soft Robotics discussion panel at the RoboSoft 2022 Conference.
- April 2022 – Dr Marcello Calisiti chairs the food handling task at the RoboSoft 2022 Conference.
- March 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson and Prof Elizabeth Sklar attend the World Agri-Tech Summit in San Francisco representing Lincoln agri-robotics research.
- March 2022 – Grzegorz Sochacki chaired a breakout session at the International Workshop on Embedded Intelligence 2022.
- March 2022 – Dr Amir Ghalamzan Esfahani exhibited the University of Lincoln’s strawberry picking robot at the UKRI Challenge Event on Robots for a Safer World in Bristol.
- March 2022 – Karoline Heiwolt, Roopika Ravikanna, Samuel Carter, Xumin Gao, Garry Clawson, Nikolaos Tsagkopoulos and Willow Mandil take part in British Science Week 2022 at the University of Lincoln, where they give demonstrations and spend time speaking to school-aged children about robotics.
- February 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson attends the Agricultural Universities Council meeting in Reading.
- February 2022 – Dr Ravi Valluru attends the Light Science Conference in Essex, representing Lincoln agri-robotics research.
- February 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson is a member of the ‘Changing the way we grow, how and when’ discussion panel at EAT SUMMIT.
- February 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson is a member of the ‘Shaping the National Service Robotics Proving Ground Facilities’ discussion panel.
- January 2022 – Prof Simon Pearson conducts a demonstration of agri robotic work at Teledyne Technologies in Lincoln.
- December 2021 – The AgriFoRwArdS CDT works with Lincoln Agri Robotics (LAR) to run a Holiday Hackathon focused on identifying parts of poinsettia plants.
- December 2021 – Dr Grzegorz Cielniak runs a workshop titled ‘Perception Systems for Robotic Weeding’ at Shanghai University.
- November 2021 – Willow Mandil represents the CDT at the United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, demonstrating the ‘robofruit’ strawberry picking robot.
- November 2021 – Prof Simon Pearson takes part in discussion panel on overcoming barriers to autonomous robot adoption in soft fruit farms.
- October 2021 to September 2022 – Haris Matsantonis works as a demonstrator for the IBA4 Lab at the University of Cambridge.
- October 2021 to September 2022 – Will Rohde works as a demonstrator for third year undergraduate lab classes at the University of Cambridge.
- October 2021 to September 2022 – Will Rohde has presented his work to the general public in various University of Cambridge Open Days.
- October 2021 – Dr Iain Gould runs a ‘Soils’ workshop and activity at Lincolnshire Day 2021 held at the Lincolnshire Showground.
- October 2021 – Harry Rogers, Garry Clawson and Dr Charles Fox lead ‘Simulation and Plant Re-identification’ at the Oxford Autonomous Intelligent Machines and Systems Conference.
- October 2021 – Marcello Calisti and Junfeng Gao demonstrate agricultural robotics at the Lincolnshire Harvest Festival.
- September 2021 – Junfeng Gao is a panel discussing future possible impacts of robotics innovation on agriculture and other fields at the Towards Autonomous Robotics Systems Conference 2021.
- July 2021 – Amie Owen and Mazvydas Gudelis, along with the rest of their Summer School 2021 group, receive the award for the Best Summer School Presentation at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021, for their presentation titled ‘Computer vision for quality assessment of apples’.
- July 2021 – Garry Clawson (an incoming student at the time) receives the award for best question at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021.
- July 2021 – Karoline Heiwolt receives the award for the Best Student Presentation at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021, for her presentation titled ‘Using deep learning for semantic segmentation of 3D plant point clouds’.
- July 2021 – Willow Mandil engages as a member of the discussion panel for Bob Fisher’s keynote talk ‘The TrimBot2020 gardening robot and other agricultural robot issues’ at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021.
- July 2021 – Roopika Ravikanna engages as a member of the discussion panel for Jeff Keiser’s keynote talk ’30+ Years of AgriTech… What have we learned? …and, how do we apply that for the Future?’ at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021.
- July 2021 – Karoline Heiwolt and Grzegorz Sochacki engage as members of the discussion panel for Tony Pridmore’s keynote talk ‘Plant Phenotyping: Getting to the root of the problem’ at the AgriFoRwArdS CDT Annual Conference 2021.
- June 2021 – Grzegorz Sochacki works with University of Cambridge colleagues to design and create the robotic kits used as part of the AgriFoRwArdS Summer School 2021.
- June 2021 – Grzegorz Sochacki provides technical support for the AgriFoRwArdS Summer School 2021.
- April 2021 – Roopika Ravikanna, Amie Owen and Bradley Hurst represented the CDT at the Fresh Produce Consortium Festivals Event 2021, showcasing their research to public, prospective students, and members of industry.
- April 2021 – Prof Elizabeth Sklar was co-chair of a workshop organised at the AAAI Fall Symposium: Where AI meets Food security (WAIF).
- April 2021 – Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State at Defra visited the University of Lincoln’s Riseholme Campus and received a tour of the facilities and robotics projects.
- March 2021 – Grzegorz Sochacki co-chairs a breakout session at the International Workshop on Embedded Intelligence 2021.
- December 2020 – The AgriFoRwArdS CDT works with Lincoln Agri Robotics (LAR) to run a Holiday Hackathon focused on identifying parts of poinsettia plants.
- October 2020 to September 2021 – Callum Lennox has worked with Professor Elizabeth Sklar on an AI Unleashed project.
- Jack Foster and Haihui Yan featured in a promotional video for the James Dyson Foundation.
- Simon Pearson is on the round table for Digital Catapult and the UK Government, focussed on the natural environment (including forestry, agriculture, farming, climate change and conservation.